This article explains how to set the default browser on your Android device.
Now it has become clear that Google will no longer fix the security bugs in Webview on Android versions before KitKat (4.4), it is a good idea to switch your browser to a more secure browser. This article will show you how you can change the default browser on your Android device.
Step 1: Clear the current browser that opens links
- Open the Settings application and tap on Apps. (On some versions of Android this button is labelled “Applications” and you may have to tap on Manage applications before the next step.)
- Tap on the All tab.
- Tap on the current browser that opens links. This is usually the default browser which is called “Browser” or “Internet”.
- Tap on Clear defaults to prevent this browser from opening links by default. If “Clear defaults” is greyed out, then either you have not installed another browser or you have installed another browser like Opera and it is set to be the default browser. If you have installed another browser, go back to the previous step and repeat with the default browser.
Step 2: Select your preferred browser to be the default browser for opening links
- Open a link in an Android application like twitter or the Mail application.
- Tap on your preferred browser and then tap on “Always” (don’t choose the standard “Internet” browser).
From now on, all links will be opened in the browser you selected.
You can always change this choice by performing these steps again.